To overcome fear of riding a bicycle, first you need to be willing to get rid of such feelings. It can be very tough to be successful in this endeavor. There may come some times when you feel like giving up, or think that you cannot do it. But just remember that however hard it is to win over your fear, know that it is possible if you really want to do it and it will surely be rewarding.
So to help you overcome fear of riding a bicycle, take note of the following tips.
1. You need to find out what causes your fear. Is this because of a traumatic experience when you were a kid? Is it because of a bike-car accident? Or is it primarily because of your body’s size and weight? Is it because of the fear of being mocked or ridiculed? Or is it the fact of falling? Knowing why you are scared of riding a bicycle can help you think of definite ways to triumph over your fears.
2. Clarify your wants. Ask yourself why you want to do this. Why do you like to overcome your fear of riding a bicycle? Before you ride your bike again, be sure you are emotionally prepared. Make sure you like to do it. However, some times “liking” is not enough. It will be better if you “desire” or “love” to do this. If you have such strong emotions towards riding a bike again and getting rid of the fear, it will give you a stronger push to do so.
3. They say that in order to overcome your fear, you need to face it. You cannot beat your enemy unless you go on a face-to-face battle with him. Same goes with overcoming fear of riding a bicycle. Ride your bicycle when you are emotionally prepared. Do not start with the road, ride on a park perhaps. Then later on if you have saved a little confidence, you can use a road with less traffic.
4. Apply Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). It is the principle of being able to mirror or bring to life the information you feed to your brain. In other words, if you think you can do something, you can do it. If you think you cannot do something then you cannot do it. That’s how simple NLP is and it works.
5. You do not have to do it alone. Most of the time, fears can be overcome faster and easier with the support, inspiration, and love of people around you especially your family and friends. When you decide to ride your bike again, invite one of your friends or family members to join you.
6. Your bike can also greatly contribute in your pursuit to overcome fear of riding bicycle. If you know that your bicycle can hold and carry you safely, you can be more confident in riding on it. Do not ride regular bicycles bought from malls or bike shops since they can only hold riders up to 200 pounds. That is the weight limit of most regular bikes. A custom built bicycle can greatly lessen your fear of riding since it is specially manufactured to suit the needs of big riders.
Source by Joan S. Denizot